For some of us, when we’re stressed out, upset, anxious or experiencing another painful emotion, we turn to food for comfort. But that comfort can quickly turn into feeling guilty and even more upset, anxious or stressed out.
But while there’s no reason to feel guilty about eating or overeating, regularly turning to food to make yourself feel better isn’t healthy.
Fortunately, there are tons of healthy activities you can do to boost your mood and nourish your mind, body and spirit, too!
Below is just a selection of healthy strategies you can try.
1. Listen to music.
2. Call a friend.
3. Talk to a counselor.
4. Take a walk.
6. Write or journal.
7. Read a favorite book.
8. Practice one of your favorite hobbies.
9. Take a hot bath.
10. Take deep breaths.
11. Get a manicure and/or pedicure at the spa or give yourself one.
12. Pray or meditate.
13. Go to church or temple.
14. Play a sport.
15. Browse the library.
16. Browse a store you love.
18. Play an instrument.
19. Watch your favorite movie.
20. Search for inspiring quotes online.
21. Read blogs that inspire or uplift you.
22. Write five things that you love about yourself.
23. Write five things you’re grateful for.
24. Take your camera outside and focus on the beauty all around you.
25. Take a nap.
27. Punch a pillow.
28. Ask a loved one for a hug or give a hug.
29. Skype with a friend.
30. Go to the beach or park.
What are some of your favorite ways to cope? What do you do to nourish your mind, body and spirit? We’d love to hear how you cope!