How you view your body has a big impact on how you view yourself. And having a positive body image is vital for your overall health.
Below are just a few ideas to help you improve your body image.
1. Become amazed by your body! Our bodies do amazing things every single day for us that we don’t even think about. They help us breathe, eat, walk, read and write. Our bodies help us hug and kiss loved ones, play with our pets, express our emotions and participate in favorite hobbies.
Think about several activities that you love that your body helps you do. You can even make a list!
2. Realize that every image you see in the media is Photoshopped. So many of us think that we need to live up to the images we see in magazines and in ads, but all of these photographs have been digitally altered. Even the models and actresses don’t really look like that!
The people in these images spend several hours getting their makeup and hair done and taking the “perfect” picture, and then a professional spends many hours airbrushing this supposedly perfect picture. So don’t believe everything you see!
3. Remember that you’re more than your body. You’re so much more than hips, thighs and a belly. You’re a whole person with unique qualities. Think about at least 10 things that you love about yourself.
You can do this activity with your friends. So instead of bashing your bodies and your looks when you’re around your friends, be positive and talk about the qualities you love!
4. Smile when you look in the mirror. It might sound silly but just smiling at yourself whenever you look in the mirror can really make a difference in your attitude and how you see yourself. Whenever you catch your reflection in a window or anywhere else, just smile.
5. Consider that body putdowns are a real waste of time. How many times do you talk negatively about your body or your looks? Think about all the fun and positive things you could be doing instead. And think of the positive things you can say to yourself when you’re feeling the urge to be critical.
6. Be thankful for what you do have. No doubt you have some amazing people in your life. And you’re probably doing some pretty amazing things, too! Think about all the things in your life that you’re grateful for.
7. Participate in physical activities you enjoy. Our bodies are meant to move. Exercise has a variety of health benefits, and you feel great doing it! What are some of your favorite ways to move your body? Remember that exercise isn’t supposed to be grueling, painful or feel like a chore. You can do anything from walking and running to dancing and hula-hooping to riding your bike to swimming in the pool. There are so many fun ways to move your body.